Wednesday, February 18, 2015

New Center


So this Monday was Presidents' Day and then Tuesday, we were out of school for a snow day. I love/hate weeks like that. On the one hand, I love being out of school. On the other hand, I hate it because since I don't get to see all my kids, there's really no point in starting a project since half of them will end up behind. I feel like it's just a waste. So I decided to pull out my art centers again for Kindergarten. 

And I added a new center this time. I call it the illustration center. All of the kids at that center, usually about six or seven, work together on a huge piece of paper. You could use butcher paper for this; I had some huge paper donated to me so I used that. 

I assign the group a story that they are all familiar with like the Three Little Pigs or Little Red Riding Hood. For the one in the example below I used Goldilocks and the Three Bears. I like that they have to work together as a group to illustrate one story, not separate stories. A lot of my kindergartner still want to each work separately on one big piece of paper so we had to talk about that. I still got a lot of separate drawings but I thought for the first time at this center, they all did a pretty good job. This group did a really awesome job working together to make one story. You can see they have the house with Goldilocks, the three bears along the side, and one of them even attempted to spell Goldilocks and the three bears all by herself.
Kindergarten Art Centers - Blog post by Kelsey Fortune: Art Teacher | kelseyfortune.blogspot.com


I think the center is a great way to build teamwork skills, something they don't get a lot of time to do in their classrooms anymore. It's also a way of getting students to recall and retell familiar stories.

These are the CCSS frameworks this center is working on. 

CCRA.R.2 Determine central ideas or themes of a text and analyze their development; summarize the key supporting details and ideas.
RL.K.2 With prompting and support, retell familiar stories, including key details.
RL.K.3 With prompting and support, identify characters, settings, and major events in a story.

One of the best things about this center is that it doesn't really require any special supplies other than a big piece of paper. Just some markers or crayons or whatever you would normal have on your tables. 

If you use centers, do you have an illustration center? What other centers should I add next time?

Kelsey

PS: I re-re-designed my blog. I can't make up my mind. I'm the worst. What do you think? I need to just actually design it myself and stop using all the pre-made blogger templates but who has time for that??

No comments:

Post a Comment